Re: [linux-audio-dev] Remote control is important

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Remote control is important
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2000 - 22:02:25 EET

Steve Harris wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 02:02:08PM -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > Another good reason to support this: Remote control. Very useful in a
> > studio, and very useful in live situations too. I could bring the
> > laptop into another room in my studio (er, house) and use it as a
> > remote control for Ardour and anything else I want to run. This would
> > be essential for many situations like mine where the engineer is also
> > a player.... and I don't want to have to put the PC and everything
> > it's connected to in the same room as the band. In fact the PC should
> > eventually go in a "tape closet".
>
> I've been thinking about a minimal form of this, I intend it to run on a
> palmtop (possibly using the MIDI protocol* to communicate). One thing I
> would want ardour for is recording gigs, and I don't want to lug a
> monitor around. Plus in the studio its often convienient to have a remote
> control, without peering at the monitor across the room.

I've been thinking very much along the same lines, as far as using
portable computer devices as controllers. I'd ultimately like more
flexibility than MIDI, for which Stefan's suggestion of MCOP might be
the way to go. But thinking about it, MIDI would be adequate for most
of the things I have in mind. This is all long-term dreaming anyway, I
would be amazed if one of you guys didn't beat me to it. :)

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.