Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and run_adding()

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and run_adding()
From: Paul Sladen (paul_AT_sladen.org)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 16:11:10 EET

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >> i would really like to once again voice my opinion that run_adding()
> >> should be the default mode of operation for all LADSPA plugins.
> Also, in a typical polyphonic synth implementing processReplacing, the first
> voice replaces the data and additional voices pass over the same buffer
> accumulating into it. So, the performance advantage of implementing
> processReplacing is probably very small. I bothered to implement it with my
> first synths and couldn't tell the difference so haven't bothered with later
> ones.

I'm sorry that I've no performance information on zeroing memory ;-), but
how much does it really take to zero 64bytes of memory before running the
plugin over it with run_adding().. at this point in time, my vote goes for
a non-scaling run_adding() as the default, (and only?) mode.

On the same drift, let's keep mixing to the mixer plugin, thing of the
confusion it is going to cause, each plugin have it's own "gain" control
that is sometimes available, and sometimes not, depending on how the
plugin is connected -- ?

Paul

--
e: paul_AT_sladen.org   t: 0115 922 7162