[linux-audio-dev] www.linuxaudiodev.com domain registered

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] www.linuxaudiodev.com domain registered
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 13:57:58 EET

Hi,

I registered the http://www.linuxaudiodev.com domain which for
now points to the current LAD site (http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad)

In the next 1-2 months I'll set up a slashdot-like site where the LAD
folks can make their contributions.
(basically everyone (endusers too, just like on slashdot) can submit
articles but they need to be approved by one of the admins first.
I'll hand out a few admin accounts for those wanting to contribute to
the maintenance of the site. (hopefully Jörn and Paul Winkler (others are
welcome too!) will continue their excellent work).

Some scenarios include for example the ALSA folks posting weekly summaries
of what's going on on alsa-devel, what new features the CVS version contain,
eventual bugfixes, or the release of new stable versions etc.
Or someone of the LAD folks could summarize what's going on on LAD on a weekly
basis etc etc.
Other useful topics would be news from the kernel front, like latest advances in
the low-latency / preemptive kernel field etc.

Later I plan an application database too, but custom tailored for audio apps.
(where you can perform more fine grained searches, like midi sequencers,
HD recorders etc).
But for now the main site has priority

Now you will say why ".com" and not ".org" ?
Well, mainy to prevent "cybersquatting" which is quite popular these days.

As for the story-engine I will be using, it will be Nope
(http://nope.sourceforge.net )

see http://www.ibooklinux.net for a nice site

I have chosen Nope because slashcode/Zope is IMHO too complex to manage
for a relatively small portal as the LAD-portal will be.

Plus it is written in PHP which is easily customizable.
(sorry but I have neither the time nor the necessary knowledge to hack on
slashcode / zope to make eventual customizations and the added benefits of using
these engines would be only marginal (if at all))
One of the disadvantages of Nope is that it has a flat security model which
means that all admins are equivalent, but that is not going to be a problem
with only a 3-4 trusted admins.

You will hear from me when I have something more concrete to show off.

cheers,
Benno.