[linux-audio-dev] Re: new preemptive kernel-patch from Montavista available

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: new preemptive kernel-patch from Montavista available
From: Nigel Gamble (nigel_AT_nrg.org)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 20:17:25 EET

On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Andrew Morton wrote:
> But it's way too early to judge these things. I think MontaVista
> are waiting until the filesystem guys completely remove the big lock in
> the 2.5 stream.

Yes, the "big kernel lock" is definitely the biggest problem at the
moment. I can't just use a semaphore for it, because it is a monitor
lock and must be reacquired during a context switch. It really needs
to go!

> I don't think MontaVista are targetting this as a 2.4 kernel feature,
> but I've Cc:'ed Nigel and George so they can speak for themselves.

My work is definitely a work in progress and proof of concept targetted
towards 2.5. I want to show that these techniques, which have been used
successfully in at least two previous versions of real-time unix,
REAL/IX from MODCOMP and IRIX from SGI, are easily applicable to Linux,
also.

Nigel Gamble nigel_AT_nrg.org
Mountain View, CA, USA. http://www.nrg.org/