Re: [linux-audio-dev] proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 13:34:21 EET

I'm not going to comment on the licence issue (though I think Paul is
right with his choice of GPL).

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 02:17:37PM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
| Below is my first pass at an XML DTD for a LADSPA plugin
| toolkit-neutral GUI specification. After it is a small example of what
| a plugin GUI specification might look like.

Thank you! Prepare yourself of the picking of nits.

| <!ELEMENT graphics_context EMPTY>
| <!ATTLIST graphics_context
| foreground CDATA #IMPLIED
| background CDATA #IMPLIED
| bg_pixmap CDATA #IMPLIED
| font CDATA #IMPLIED

Wouldn't graphics-context be the cannonical form? (sorry, that really
*is* nitpicking!)

How about fg_pixmap, or some way of displaying values more meaningful
than the float value, otherwise I'm stuck with dB input values (which
seem unpopular).

I guess I could use vaue_displays, but yuk. Alternativly I could do it
with active areas control (see later).

| <!ELEMENT controller (graphics_context?)>
| <!ATTLIST controller
| port CDATA #REQUIRED
| xpos CDATA #REQUIRED
| ypos CDATA #REQUIRED
| label CDATA #IMPLIED
| label_position (top | bottom | left | right | upper_left | upper_right | lower_left | lower_right) "top"
| type (knob | hslider | vslider | spinner | image) "knob"
| images CDATA #IMPLIED

If you specify type="image" wouldn't it be neccesary to specify the
active area you can move? eg. for a pixmap slider? The 'slider' can't
move right to the top of the pixmap, if I understand how this works.

| <!ELEMENT pushbutton (state+)>
| <!ATTLIST pushbutton
| port CDATA #REQUIRED
| xpos CDATA #REQUIRED
| ypos CDATA #REQUIRED
| label CDATA #IMPLIED
| label_position (top | bottom | left | right | upper_left | upper_right | lower_left | lower_right) "top"
| trigger CDATA #FIXED "restart"

What is trigger? Is it what happens when the control is used?

- Steve