Re: [linux-audio-dev] proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 20:45:26 EET

>> Well, I happen to like your use of dB values. Its much easier on
>> everyone except you :)
>
>It's fine for me, but it's hard for the host to do anything meaningful, if
>I understand the argument in favour of linear coeffients correctly.

Well, maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to make it
easier. When Ardour creates plugin GUI's for your amp_* plugin, the
GUI looks "right". If you used linear values, what shows up on the
screen would have no meaning without some way for the plugin
formatting them for display, and we don't do that.

>> >I guess I could use vaue_displays, but yuk. Alternativly I could do it
>> >with active areas control (see later).
>>
>> why yuk ?
>
>Well, it means an extra control output, doesn't it? Or can I bind a
>slider and a value-display to an input control? If so, Yay!

You can bind as many control elements as you wish to the same port. My
implementation will ensure that they are all updated as the values are
changed *using one of the widgets*. LADSPA has no provisions for
plugins notifying the host of changes to the port value, and I have no
idea exactly how we'll do this other than a roughly 1/screen_hz idle
loop that updates the screen displays to match the current value.

>Imagine 17 pixmaps with the slider in each position.
>
>00 -------- --------
>01 | | | |
>02 |######|__ | |
>03 |######||\ | |
>04 |======| | |
>05 |######| | |
>06 |######| | |
>07 | | | |
>08 | | | |
>09 | | | |
>10 | | | |
>11 | | | |
>12 | | | |
>13 | | | |
>14 | | | |
>15 | | | |
>16 | | |######|
>17 | | |######|
>18 | | |======|
>19 | | |######|
>20 | | |######|__
>21 -------- --------|\
>
>Mouse pointer is Mouse pointer is
>3 pixels down, right at bottom is pixmap,
>looks likes its looks like its way below
>just obove the the slider.
>slider.

Whats the problem that you are worried about ? I don't see it.

BTW, all the widgets in my backend have exact numerical display as
well as the pixmap, and allow direct numerical entry as well as mouse
control. Just for those anti-mouse folks out there.

--p