Re: [linux-audio-dev] proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml
From: David Benson (daveb_AT_idealab.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 17:49:55 EET

> That's obvious that I can't represent 24bit numbers with a 100-200 pixel
> (in height) fader (barely 8bit :-) ).
> But why should the idea of providing single pixel precision in the faders
> be absurd ?
> I'mean: when I play mixer automation data back with visual feedback on the
> faders, why should I use a let's say 4-8 pixel granularty and see a jerky
> movement (especially during very slow fades) rather than a smooth one ?
>
> (Paul please let me know if I'm misunderstanding you, or if I am missing
> something).
> Notice that I was talking about vertical faders not rotating knobs or so.

I really have to agree with Benno here -- for just two pixmaps
you can have very nice effects that are space/memory efficient,
and given to-the-pixel resolution, which really *is* useful to some.

I have these widgets in gdam (skin/gtkpixscrollbar.[hc])
and actually i already have skin/gdamdial.[ch] similar to your proposal.

(The pix-splitbar, which is fills half its area with one pixmap,
and half with the other, with the split boundary the mark, eg.

    AAAAAAABBB

indicates 70%. sorry that's kind of unclear...)

They already have libglade ``custom_widget'' wrappers -- but i have
no idea how to make Gtk-- wrappers.

- Dave