Re: [linux-audio-dev] proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] proposed initial DTD for LADSPA-gui-xml
From: David Benson (daveb_AT_idealab.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 19:49:51 EET

> 1) on the one hand, its *too* general. i don't want
> to have plugins with arbitary GTK widgets unless
> they provide their own code to do so.
>
> 2) on the other hand, its not specific enough - wrapping
> up the various widgets i expect to add to the set
> we provide will be quite a bit of work. and
> most GTK widgets are pretty horrible for our purposes -
> all that nonsense about PRELIGHT states and really
> appalling design for spinbuttons (i've been almost
> every GTK theme and still have not seen a good one).
>
> so although libglade is tantalizingly close already, my sense is that
> its not close enough, and won't get any closer. yours ?

though it *is* sufficiently powerful --
in fact gdam does all its widget bindings by
specifying a special ``GladeXMLConnectFunc'' which allows you to
do whatever you want with the signal handler instead of just connecting
a function of that name to the signal.
(then in glade we type in funny strings like:
        arg_set:gain:0:1
for (say) the scrollbar handler, the 0 and 1 are the scrollbars range)

(the same stuff works on custom widgets only
you (1) cannot preview them and (2) it doesn't provide you
with a list of signal names. no big deal.)

However, using it would tie our standard directly to that implemetnation;
no good in my opinion.

- dave