Re: [linux-audio-dev] New "plugin"

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New "plugin"
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 12:02:08 EET

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 03:11:27PM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >It takes about 90-100 PIII MHz when running, but sounds really nice.
>
> can you explain what you mean when you use these numbers ?

Yeeees, but only if you promise not to shout ;)

All I've been doing is running applyplugin under time and then
dividing the user time by the length of the input sample and multiplying
by the clock speed of the machine.

Awful metric but it gives you some idea of how much CPU power is used by
the plugin when its running realtime. Of course the reults vary wildly
with the chunk size and moon phase.

Speaking of which I've been meaning to run my speed measuring scripts on
our 6 way xeon to see just how much difference the extra cache makes over
a stock uniprocessor PIII.

> BTW, hermes sounds like a really cool thing. definitely headed for
> VST and protools TDM territory.

Cheers, I'm not sure I'd compare it to TDM's though! It's a logical
extrapolation of a really cool Swiss sound mangling "synth" that a
friend has. Thier quite hard to get hold of and I was just thinging, hang
about all it is is a bunch of oscilators and modulators, its all piss
easy really. Theres lots of tweaks in there to make it sound more
like analogue parts, but it was basicly quite simple.

- Steve