Re: [linux-audio-dev] control curve patent

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] control curve patent
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 19:31:40 EET

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 11:13:00AM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> macromedia's patent: US5204969 (1993, but continues a patent from 1989)

> means for displaying a sound characteristics control line adjacent to
> the displayed waveform; and
>
> means for displacing at least one segment of the sound characteristics
> control line adjacent to the portion of the displayed waveform;

(from dictionary.com)

adjacent \Ad*ja"cent\, a. [L. adjacens, -centis, p. pr. of adjacere to
lie near; ad + jac[=e]re to lie: cf. F. adjacent.] Lying near, close, or
contiguous; neighboring; bordering on; as, a field adjacent to the
highway. ``The adjacent forest.'' --B. Jonson.

Usage: Adjacent, Adjoining, Contiguous. Things are adjacent when they
lie close each other, not necessary in actual contact; as, adjacent
fields, adjacent villages, etc.

So this patent doesn't cover a control line lying over the waveform.
Just incase there is a photo in Road's "Computer Music Tutorial" of
someone editing control points associated with a waveform (with a lightpen
or something). The photo was '70's IIRC, certainly earlier than 1989.
Don't have a copy to hand, so I can't look up the page number, but if
anyone cares I'll nip over to the library tommorow and scan it.

- Steve