Re: [linux-audio-dev] OMG Has anybody checked out the Motor Mix??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OMG Has anybody checked out the Motor Mix??
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 05:38:12 EEST

> I just discovered this Motor Mix from CM Automation! This thing has 8
>motorized faders, 8 rotary pots, 68 switches and a big LCD! Its a complete
>midi mixer with moving faders that lists for $995! I definitely have to get
>one of these things. Everybody has to check this thing out, so here is the
>url: http://www.cmautomation.com/motormix.html.
>
>Paul: This thing looks like it would be perfect to control Ardour.

nope. this is the perfect thing to control another (dead) project,
once called "hdr" (mistakenly). ardour doesn't have any faders, for a
start, and the buttons and stuff can all easily be controlled from a
computer keyboard with no loss of function.

however, those of you with insight into my long term goals will
recognize that "hdr" (which is a "bus/channel/strip" architecture) is
intended to be resurrected as a "mixer" part of the system i am
slowly(?) constructing. when that comes, the motor mix will be useful,
though a lot more expensive than the peavey pc1600x, which i suppose
is what you pay for the motors, all those switches and the display.

the CM stuff is cool, though i personally wish they could get away
from the hideous design aesthetic they have adopted. give me a Mackie
HUI (at 3 times the price :) any day on that score ...

--p