[linux-audio-dev] My little LL experience..

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] My little LL experience..
From: Frank Neumann (franky_AT_viona.de)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 12:51:00 EEST

Hi,
just to add some user feedback: I finally managed to try Ingo's LL patches
over the weekend, and here's what I did/noticed:

- I used a 2.2.17 kernel upon which I applied the 2.2.16 LL patches. There was
  one small reject which was a one-liner, though, and was easily fixed.

- Compiling such a kernel works - but only if I disable the CONFIG_FBCON
  stuff. I used the patch from:

  http://people.redhat.com/mingo/lowlatency-patches/lowlatency-2.2.16-A0

  and found that in line 816ff it redefines some stuff with regard to
  console updating. While the patch works fine for the standard text-based
  console, it breaks for the fbcon-based console because now some of the
  old macros (scr_writew, scr_readw and friends) are not available anymore
  in drivers/video/fbcon.c. Oh well, I can live without it for now.

- After disabled CONFIG_FBCON, recompiling and restarting, things worked fine.
  The kernel only ran for one evening so far, but didn't crash yet, and
  latencytest0.42-png showed the expected results.
  System is a Pentium_AT_133MHz, 96MB RAM, and for all tests the latency was
  below or at 3ms. Looks good to me!

Is Ingo reading this list, or should I inform him of my problems personally?

Regards,
Frank