Re: [linux-audio-dev] finding the selection length with LADSPA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] finding the selection length with LADSPA
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 00:18:11 EEST

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> >BTW, I've been dreaming about a *TRULY* non-destructive audio editor,
> >that would just assign plugins to EDL clips/regions/pieces, rather
> >than generating new audio data whenever you do a select + filter type
> >operation. The plugins would run in real time when the clips were
> >played, and all parameters could be tweaked in real time, including
> >those of plugins applied via the select + filter UI.
> >

> Is that basically a computer effects pedal? Because I think
> ecasound goes a long way towards that idea.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to desicribe it as a MIDI
sequencer (record, edit and playback events) controlling a sampler
(record and playback audio, real time controlled effects), and then
add a sensible graphical editor that's aware of the details of the
sampler.

(It could actually be implemented that way, but there are two major
problems with that: 1) A sampler is too inflexible to take care of
everything that a HDR does, so you end up with more subsystems and
less flexibility than with a software based design, and 2) MIDI
timing isn't good enough to replace a real HDR system.)

//David

| A Free/Open Source | | Audio Hacker |
| for | | Open Source Advocate |
| Professional and Consumer | | Singer |
| Multimedia | | Songwriter |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'