Re: [linux-audio-dev] latest news: the editor taketh shape

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] latest news: the editor taketh shape
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 01:47:40 EEST

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> **** LADSPA alert ******
> I would really like to use a plugin API within the editor. However, as
> the discussions here have pointed out, LADSPA is fundamentally
> designed around a different premise than the one most suitable for
[...]
> soon-ish, I'll just decided to use VST, which will allow such things
> via the "batch" model.

So you can't write a fade-in effect as a LADSPA plugin, what's the big
deal!? You can still write n+1 different effects as LADSPA plugins and you
can use them in Ardour without problems. LADSPA was _not_ designed to
handle all processing needs and requirements. This design decision was
made for a reason. However, the LADSPA API does cover many cases. If all
app developers just say "oh, the API doesn't cover x, I'll use another
API", nobody is going to use LADSPA. And especially, if a high-profile
linux audio app like Ardour does not support LADSPA... oh, well.

And btw; I'm still uncertain whether we can distribute VST headers with
GPL'ed software.

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .