Re: [linux-audio-dev] extending LADSPA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] extending LADSPA
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 23:28:29 EEST

>This thread seems to go against everything I thought I knew about
>daw's. My guess is that individuals working on individual components
>are now looking to integrate with the works of others, but are still
>looking from the perspective of their individual apps instead of from
>the perspective of the integrating app, the host. My experience tells
>me that the host is primarily a sequencer, and I have never seen a post
>to lad that addresses this.

in the case in question, the host is a simple soundfile editor, not a
DAW, and its not doing (audio) sequencing or any work with EDL's. when
it applies a fade to a region selected by the user, its simply going
to take the new data produced by the plugin, and use it more or less
as-is.

in a DAW situation, it looks pretty different, for sure. but thats not
the case at hand as i understand it. i'd be sympathetic to the notion
that *all* audio editors should really be using EDL's and doing
temporal sequencing with them, but that just isn't how the vast
majority of Linux sound file editors operate at this time.

--p