Re: [linux-audio-dev] extending LADSPA, it's not that easy ......

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] extending LADSPA, it's not that easy ......
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 16:55:08 EEST

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 11:27:56AM +0200, Benno Senoner wrote:

[discussion of 'zipper' artifacts v's block size etc.]

> What we need is to linearly interpolate the control values inside the plugin.
> (Anything more than linear interpolation gets too complex for realtime work.)

The other obvious thing is for another type of input that works like the
audio ones, but possibly at a reduced data rate. This is quite common I
think, and it's certainly how the nord modular works internaly.

What is the overhead on just providing something identical to audio
streams (in data terms) but hinted differently? Would a plugin that
required, say, 3 streams in addition to the 1-2 audio ones bring the
system to it knees? Sorry, I don't know much about the hardware issues
involved. Obviously it wouldn't be a problem for offline processing.

The LADSPA interface is currently very clean and easy to code for, if
something is added to allow for more accurate control changes I would
like to see if maintain the clarity and shallow learning curve.

> But as said very fast parameter shifts will cause zipper-noise, especially
> on gain plugs. (I guess the zipper is not very audible on filtersweeps)

My experience is that they are most audible on filter sweeps. Even some
hardware suffers (I'm thinking Korg).

- Steve

--
Stephen Harris
MALIBU Technical Officer & JoDI Webmaster