[linux-audio-dev] "Aleatoric, Atonal Music with a MIDI file - a new approach"

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] "Aleatoric, Atonal Music with a MIDI file - a new approach"
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 06:17:23 EET

i download a new software update from alesis for their m20 adat
recorders. the update is a standard MIDI file with sysex data.

i unzip the file. i test pmidi's ability to parse and send it. all is
fine.

out of curiosity, i load the SMF into emacs.

immediately i get a buzzing sound from my monitors. the disk activity
light is off. if i kill the buffer, the sound goes away. if i switch
buffers, it goes away. if i switch "desktops" in the WM, it goes
away. whenever i switch back to, or reload, the SMF file, the noise is
there.

then comes the *wierd* part: if i split the emacs window to show the
SMF file and something else (e.g. this email message), i can adjust
the volume of the noise by changing the relative size of the two emacs
"windows". i can do the same thing by resizing the X window that emacs
is in.

then i try using emacs within a rxvt window. the SMF file has no effect.

my monitors are connected to an alesis power amp, which gets balanced
in's from a samson pl2404 mixer. the mixer is connected to a neutrik
patch bay, and there is nothing connected to any of the line ins when
this noise occurs.

the monster cable that feeds the monitors runs close or over my video
cable. at some point, i'll check out which cable interference is
responsible.

Ah yes, my paper for the next computer music conference:

  "Aleatoric, Atonal Music with a MIDI file - a new approach"

--p