[linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: well why am I here at all, it looks like I'm not wanted:(was Usage of Sourceforge)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: well why am I here at all, it looks like I'm not wanted:(was Usage of Sourceforge)
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 19:37:24 EEST

Posted also to linux-audio-dev...

>From: Benno Senoner <sbenno_AT_gardena.net>
>
>and of course those with no kernel programming skills are treated like
>worthless, inferiour creatures by some of the kernel folks (fortunately very
>few)).

Shall I remind you all of Audiotechque project. The bastards even greated
a new private mailing list for four coders because they could not tolerate
discussions from non-coders. I understand the feelings of the person
who started this thread because I was exactly in the same position than
he is now (sort of).

>Anyway you must understand that some people prefer to make music using tools
>like Kai's ecasound, so they are not that interested in developing/using
>GUI apps.

I confess directly: writing a GUI is much harder than simple textual
interfaces.

>Plus I can understand Kai: you develop those features in your app
>which you use most or which are more fun to code.

And for all good stuff, much research and knowledge is involved.
People don't consider it fun if they want to spend 6 hours a day
in researching deeper algorithms and DSP matters.

By the way, all this being for fun and done volunteerly at each's spare
time, we still could organize some kind of worker pool. Say, if one needs
some DSP effect, people interested in researching and coding such effect
may take a lead. Or if one needs a GUI feature, GUI people can stand up
and look in to the feature. Perhaps LAD mailing list can be used for
posting "Wanted" requests. Just an idea.

Of course, I could pay $$$ for each feature I would like to have, but
I don't have such a money. I have feeling the co-operation is only way
to get those features as soon as possible.

Regards,

Juhana