[linux-audio-dev] Re: [CUD] Csound & ALSA support: a call for assistance

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [CUD] Csound & ALSA support: a call for assistance
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 17:30:28 EEST

Markus Gruber wrote:

> I've hacked Fred Flobergs code to work with my ALSA installation, which is
> 0.5.8. I've tested both ALSA interfaces, the "block mode"
> (ALSArtaudio-block.c) and "stream mode" (ALSArtaudio-stream.c), both with
> the
> mode to start transfer, when data is written to the buffer.
> [snip]

Markus, thank you for sending your code. I compiled the streams version
into the latest unofficial Csound, and at last I have native ALSA
support ! But of course there's a problem... ;)

First, the setup: the two cards are SoundBlasters, one is a Live! Value
and the other is a PCI128. They are each properly configured and working
under the ALSA 0.5.9b package.

In the following csd file the SBLive is the incard and the PCI128 is the
outcard:

<CsoundSynthesizer>

<CsOptions>
; testing the ALSA support
--incard=0 --outcard=1 -WNdm6
</CsOptions>

<CsInstruments>

sr = 44100
kr = 4410
ksmps = 10
nchnls = 1

        instr 1
asig in
aout reverb asig,1.5
        out aout
        endin

</CsInstruments>

<CsScore>
i1 0 10000
</CsScore>

</CsoundSynthesizer>

I ran a cassette tape feed into the Live and adjusted values on the
mixers for the cards. The Live has an Input Gain slider: it must be
active before the processed sound can be heard, and the Master volume
sliders for each card can be adjusted for the mix of wet/dry. The
problem I run into is perhaps buffer-related: the processing sounds
choppy, so I'll play with buffer settings to see how I can improve
output.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html