Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio distribution revisited

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio distribution revisited
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 04:30:01 EEST

>there somewhere, at least in the future. We spend a lot of time on
>this stuff anyway - might as well make a go of it! Anyone else on
>this list have such thoughts?

>-- A product idea: workstations and portables pre-configured with

      [ rackmounted, high quality interfaces, etc. ]

      [ other ideas and thoughts ]

>Thoughts? I'd be curious to know who here would consider forming
>such a venture and who wouldn't touch it with a 10' | ...

I am actively considering such a venture. I have a certain amount of
capital I am willing to put into it. For the most part, even though I
have no clue how it would be possible to measure or enforce this, I
would really only be interested in doing this with other people who
were doing it "full-time" (i.e. not as an adjunct to another job). I
have even considered paying someone a salary to work full-time at
writing code for various things that I think need to be done, and that
I simply don't have the time to do. This part seems unlikely right now
(check on the 9 month trend for AMZN to see why :)

My own plan, such as it is, is to sell such systems fully configured,
basically P'n'P, for between $12K and $25K. This is between 50% and
100% of the price of comparable systems sold by Windows and Apple
based dedicated systems providers. The work of assembling these things
is tedious, however, and you can spend a very long time tracking down
a bad wire in a SCSI cable, etc.

Right now, I have a few applications to finish ...

--p