Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio distribution revisited

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio distribution revisited
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 10:22:55 EEST

Figured I'd answer two in one...

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> [ rackmounted, high quality interfaces, etc. ]
>
> [ other ideas and thoughts ]

> I am actively considering such a venture. I have a certain amount of
> capital I am willing to put into it. For the most part, even though I
> have no clue how it would be possible to measure or enforce this, I
> would really only be interested in doing this with other people who
> were doing it "full-time" (i.e. not as an adjunct to another job).

I don't know how you could enforce that. Maybe you shouldn't
try - just contract projects out to people you trust?

> have even considered paying someone a salary to work full-time at
> writing code for various things that I think need to be done, and that
> I simply don't have the time to do. This part seems unlikely right now
> (check on the 9 month trend for AMZN to see why :)

Sorry to hear that, sounds like a great idea.
I must not be made for the times - it took me a full 5
minutes to figure out what that sentence means. :)

> My own plan, such as it is, is to sell such systems fully configured,
> basically P'n'P, for between $12K and $25K. This is between 50% and
> 100% of the price of comparable systems sold by Windows and Apple
> based dedicated systems providers.

INteresting. Who are such providers? I'd like to take a look
at what they do.

> The work of assembling these things
> is tedious, however, and you can spend a very long time tracking down
> a bad wire in a SCSI cable, etc.

Oh, I like that sort of thing. :)
I am serious about offering my labor for documentation, web
development, and so forth, once my current gig winds down in
early 2001.

Hope you had a good vacation, and good luck with your
projects.

Now then, John Littler said:
> I'm still working on m-station's [ distribution ] and with some
> volunteers it's coming along.

I'm curious to hear what specifically is planned for this.
Didn't see anything about it at your website, did I miss it?
Or is it not being publically discussed?

(snip)
re. pre-built DAW systems:

> There are four groups that I know of working towards
> supplying something like this.

Really! I shouldn't be surprised. Is it a secret who they
are?

> And once m-station's distro
> is out I'd like to do that too (in really specialized forms)
> ... so make that five :)
> What you (I think) were talking about earlier in relation to
> rack mount performance orientated systems is a nice niche
> for
> example. You can put the best gear in it and charge
> accordingly
> and people will pay for it once you get your name around.

This sounds in accord with PBD's plan.

> > -- The applications are not really "there" yet. This is
> crucial.
> > This business could not be realized until some time in the
> future
> > when we have more substantial real-world tools for
> musicians and
> > audio engineers.
>
> some apps are, and a lot are really close.

Unfortunately I tend to believe in the Ninety-Ninety rule.
:-/

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.