[linux-audio-dev] New release of the Smurf Sound Font Editor

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] New release of the Smurf Sound Font Editor
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 21:37:52 EEST

I just released a Smurf Sound Font Editor v0.49.8. Since I've never
announced the existence of this app on linux-audio-dev before I figured
I would do it this once.
Homepage: http://smurf.sourceforge.net

This is the description of the app in the README:

Smurf is a GTK based sound font editor. Sound font files are a
collection of
audio samples and other data that describe instruments for the purpose
of
composing music. Sound fonts do not describe the music itself, but
rather the
sounds of the instruments. These instruments can be composed of any
digitally
recordable or generated sound. This format provides a portable and
flexible
sound generation environment that can be supported in hardware or
software.

Changes in this version:
Experimental waveform generator, some midi controls on toolbar, sample
cut support,
improved menu interface, toolbar icons, fixed various problems with the
sound font tree, a
German translation, configurable keyboard key map for piano, more sample
related
preferences, fixed audiofile sample export bug, other bug fixes and code
clean
up/reformatting.

I think one of the main things stopping common users from using this app
is that it doesn't have direct support for software based wavetable
emulation. Right now a user has to have an AWE 32/64 or Live! card to
actually hear the changes they make. If they don't have one of these,
they can still edit the sound font, but have no way of hearing it until
they save the sound font, and then manually load it into some wavetable
emulator like Timidity++ or csound (I have not tried either yet). If
anyone is interested in helping with something like this, that would be
great. I know Timidity++ has ALSA sequencer support, this is on my list.
But the patch loading remains, and I'm not sure if this has been
accomplished in ALSA yet.
    Josh Green