[linux-audio-dev] Re: low latency 2.2.17 RPMs available (parport causing high latencies ?)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: low latency 2.2.17 RPMs available (parport causing high latencies ?)
From: Tim Waugh (twaugh_AT_redhat.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 00:43:27 EEST

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 06:38:03PM +0200, Benno Senoner wrote:

> And I registered a two 6msec peaks on this kernel :-(
> Perhaps it is due to the polled printer driver ?

It could be. Was it using interrupts (what does dmesg say)? We do a
couple of fast polls, but I don't think that they should be anything
like 6msec: more like 25usec. Perhaps the logic there is broken?

> (does anyone know if linux supports DMA on the parallel port
> (perhaps this will help),
> and if it's enough to enable this in the BIOS ?)

There is support for using DMA on ECP-enabled chips in 2.4.0-test, but
not in 2.2. Enable it using a kernel config option.

Tim.
*/