[linux-audio-dev] MIDI-feature wish-list

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI-feature wish-list
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 20:10:43 EEST

MIDI-subsystem rewrite has been on ecasound's todo list for quite some
time. Now that I got my old dr660 drum machine connected to my development
box, it looks like a good time to actually to get this thing done. But,
but, as I'm not a active MIDI-user myself (well, not yet :)), I'd really
like to hear your comments, or better, your wish-list for features and
functions you'd like to have.

Let's forget ecasound for a moment, and take a more generic approach. We
have certain types of audio sw:
        1) multitrack recorder,
        2) multitrack mixing (raw -> master phase)
        3) audio routing / effect processing
           (soundcards/other-apps -> fx -> soundcard/other-apps)

What MIDI-functions are typical, what you'd like to have, what should
have highest priority?

So far I have identified the following items/features:
- support for multiple independent MIDI-devices
- support for different types of sw-level MIDI-interfaces
  (at least OSS rawmidi, ALSA rawmidi, ALSA sequencer, pipes)
- MIDI-CC input mapped to effect and controller parameters
  (this is already implemented)
- MTC input (start, stop, continue, possibly time-code (is MTC
  accurate enough for above purposes?)
- MTC output (same as with input)
- MIDI-CC output (does this make any sense?)
- custom MIDI messages (this might allow to replace keyboard
  and mouse, with a MIDI-gadget; but is this worth it?)

... and note, I don't want to go too far away from the three use-cases
above. In other words, I don't want to turn ecasound into a sequencer or a
soft-synth. Anyway, waiting eagerly for your input!

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .