Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap
From: Robert Jonsson (ddskrjo_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 08:36:21 EEST

Hello everybody,

Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> It's a well-known fact that there is lots of development overlap in the
> Linux audio-dev scene. Still, there has been relatively little discussion
> about specific cases here on LAD. Maybe it would be a good thing to try to
> talk about these issues publically. I admit that in many cases, people
> just want to do it their own way, and of course, nothing wrong in
> that. But this isn't always the case...

Just a general not about LAD projects, if anyone has not browsed through
sourceforge.net, the multimedia/audio related branch, DO so. Loadsa projects
which are subject to cooperation (or competition). I sincerely hope all these
people on sourceforge read this news group.

> Audio servers are another issue. One thing that I find curious is that
> aRts still hasn't gained much support outside the KDE world. Why is this?

I try to follow aRts development, when I have time. I'm running KDE2 (last beta)
right now and aRts is indeed working but I am still to get it running in
realtime mode. Which means audio playback is chompy when the load is high.
I still think it's a bit early before aRts can be used for anything REAL. In
time I'm sure aRts will gain the userbase it deserves, ofcourse mostly in the
KDE world but surely also as a general softsynth/sound server. (If KDE does not
take over the world ofcourse 8-})

> Looking at the other canditates, esd is still dead, X-audioserver list has
> been silent for a while now, ALSA people are busy with 0.6.x release,
> Benno is busy with EVO (any other people working on the totally
> plugin-based, hard-rt-capable approach)...

The achilles heal of ARts is the fact that it is a VERY complex software, it
will NEVER be the fastest soundserver available, I don't think it'll ever come
close, which leaves room for an optimized soundserver. I have myself thought
about alternatives, just to be able to use as many cpu cycles as possible in
userspace. But then again computers get faster all the time... If they get aRts
stable, and artsbuilder working, I would be a happy user atleast.

my 2 cents, 88 cents to go.

/Robert