Re: [linux-audio-dev] disk i/o latency, mmap and more (was: Re: Reverbs... and the usual whinings)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] disk i/o latency, mmap and more (was: Re: Reverbs... and the usual whinings)
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 02:54:44 EEST

>Basicly I'm still trying to figure out how to improve ecasound's i/o
>subsystem. I've tried out many different approaches, but all have had
>problems. The fundamental one is, that unlike with ardour and EVO,
>ecasound isn't aimed at certain type of use. The basic design is
>
>"x inputs" --(mix)-> "y chains" --(process and mix)-> "z outputs"
>
>In ardour's case, you know that x = y, and that all inputs are realtime
>inputs, and that all outputs are non-realtime.

Not quite Kai - recall that ardour is doing playback as well, so we
also have a stream of non-realtime inputs being fed to realtime
outputs.

In addition, in the current version, you can fold (playback) tracks
down to the same physical channel ("virtual tracks" would be the
marketing term, i think). so in this case, x != y and y != z.
Similarly for putting the same input channel to several tracks, though
its hard to see a reason for doing this.

That said, having done work on the ill-fated "hdr" program last xmas,
i know what you mean, and designing a good system to function the way
that a mixing console's strips and busses do is not trivial,
particularly when some of the inputs and outputs are non-realtime.

--p