Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] discussion about development overlap
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 18:47:31 EEST

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Bill Schottstaedt wrote:

> I've toyed with attaching a "parse tree" to the edit fragments,
> so each fragment is run through a little program as part of
> reading it (the simplest such thing is to have a "scaler"

Hey, that's a very interesting thought! Hmm, in ecasound, I currently have
a simple wrapper format (ewf) for audio objects. This is used to encode
looping and position info into audio objects independently of the file
format. So for file "some.wav", extra data is stored into ascii file
"some.wav.ews". Same works for "some.mp3" (some.mp3.ews). You can render
the looped object into a normal file using "ecasound -i some.wav.ews -o
someother.wav".

So coming back to your idea, it would be quite easy to add info about
effects into this format (_lots_ of potential for code reuse). So when
user applies an amplify in ecawave, it only stores the amplify effect into
the ewf-file (from user's POV it looks just like normal non-destructive
editing). If you saved the file as a wav, ecawave would automatically
render the file into a wav... or you could save it as a ewf-file (=very
fast). Playback in ecawave would work automatically, as all it really does
is spawn "ecasound -i somefile -o /dev/dsp" (well, not litarally, it uses
libecasound, but basically the same thing).

Of course, this is huge simplification of your idea, but could be a
very powerful one, as you can use the ewf-files right away in recording
and mixing, you could for instance edit the effect parameters in
ewf-files using editors, etc ....

Encoding range info (20% amplify from x.xxx sec to x.xxx sec) shouldn't be
too difficult, but encoding copy&cut&paste edits in this way wouldn't be
easy. Oh, well, I'll have to think about this.

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .