Re: [linux-audio-dev] General Recording Device and Environment Questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] General Recording Device and Environment Questions
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 07:46:45 EET

Rick Burnett wrote:

> I figured this was the best place to ask questions. I have two
> actually. First, I am looking at capture devices that work outside
> the computer case (encoder wise) and have narrowed my selection to the
> Mona by Echo and the Delta 1010.

Echo does not support linux, nor do they let anyone see the necessary
specs, so there are no linux drivers for mona or any other echo cards.
The Delta series all have OSS and ALSA drivers for linux. I haven't
used them so I can't report on how well they work, but I think there
are some people on here using Deltas.

> Second is about noise. So I have been doing some research on hum
> created by a monitor, from induction to the coils in guitar pickups.
> All my guitars have this problem with my bass being the worst! So I
> thought, bingo, go with an LCD, gets rid of some of the fields. Well
> I did some reading around and people are having REALLY bad noise with
> LCD panels, probably bad shielding. So my question to the LAD
> community is what does other people do to get rid of this problem? I
> know of course moving the monitor away or sitting in a swivel chair
> and moving till its at its minimum. I am an electrical engineer so
> feel free to pelt me with some good info. I thought about sheilding,
> but I mean you can't sheild the front unless you build like a mesh and
> then it would be hard to see (and ugly at that). Are there products
> designed to minimize this.

I don't know about shielding the monitor, but you can probably
drastically improve the shielding in your guitars. Some people use
shielding paint, but I think it's pretty nasty stuff so I use copper
foil tape. Got it from digikey .... http://www.digikey.com , search
for "copper tape" and you'll find it. I cover the entire inside of my
guitars and basses with this stuff. It's a bit annoying to work with
but once you get it in place, it stays. Try to give the shielding one
good solid connection to the ground lug of the output jack. This
should improve things noticeably, even with single-coil pickups. It
also helps out a lot when you're doing a live show and the lighting
system is causing buzz problems.

If you have single-coil pickups, you might consider replacing them
with a humbucker designed to fit in the same slot. I've heard great
things about the kinman avn pickups, www.kinman.com, apparently they
sound almost exactly like vintage strat pickups but without the noise.
There's a review comparing them to a similar product from DiMarzio at
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/nov98/articles/pickup.htm

My main bass has an active, low-impedance Alembic pickup / electronics
package and it picks up hardly any noise from anything.

--
custom calendars & printing: http://www.calendargalaxy.com