Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension mechanisms

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension mechanisms
From: Jim Peters (jim_AT_aguazul.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 19:55:56 EEST

Jim Peters wrote:
> === Custom private interface (I don't like this)
>
> +-------------------+
> | LADSPA plugin |
> +--------+ | |
> | HOST |----> = LADSPA interface |
> +--------+ | | +-------+
> | Custom interface = <----| GUI |
> | | +-------+
> +-------------------+
>

> === Public defined interface (better)
>
> +--------+ +-------------------+
> | HOST |--------------+ | LADSPA plugin |
> +--------+ | | |
> | | = LADSPA interface |
> | +-----> | |
> +--------+ | = Extended i/f [*] |
> | GUI |--------------+ | |
> +--------+ +-------------------+
>
> [* OSC (maybe), or some other extended interface ]

Sorry, I mustn't forget the most common case, where the GUI can drive
the plugin via the standard LADSPA interface (with the help of the
host). In this case no extra extended interface is required.

   +--------+ +-------------------+
   | HOST |--------------+ | LADSPA plugin |
   +--------+ | | |
       | | | |
       | +-----> = LADSPA interface |
   +--------+ | | |
   | GUI |--------------+ | |
   +--------+ +-------------------+

I think I should shut up now, because I'm talking like I know more
than I really do. I may be making invalid assumptions - I only have a
small part of the picture, especially when it comes to areas like GUIs
and network-based audio control (the target of OSC, as I understand it).

This is a really weird group, you know. I feel like I'm in a large
dark empty room, and I'm talking a little too loud because I don't
know what might be lurking in the shadows, and hearing an echo would
at least help me feel a little less nervous.

Maybe everyone's on holiday or something.

Jim

--
 Jim Peters         /             __   |  \              Aguazul