Re: [linux-audio-dev] Ideas for AES/LAAGA/whatever (was Re: sound API libraries, servers, etc.)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Ideas for AES/LAAGA/whatever (was Re: sound API libraries, servers, etc.)
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 05:19:36 EEST

Jorn writes:

>> >this talk of control-rate sounds very csoundish to me. do protools
>> >etc. actually have a control rate < sampling rate ?
>>
>> protools isn't a software synthesizer, and as such the concepts don't
>> apply. however, you could choose to view the block size (the number of
>> frames processed in a single chunk, whatever that means) as analogous
>> to "control rate".
>
>i was thinking of fader automation, for example.

well, there are two ends to such things:

1) while "recording" automation data
2) while "playing back" automation data

for (1), its really entirely dependent on the GUI system and the
input h/w devices. X can't provide mouse events beyond a certain
frequency for example. This means that you cannot hope to get curves
with greater than a certain level of "stepiness", at least not without
input-side smoothing.

but for (2), there is no control-rate, since everything is done with
sample accuracy. if the recording process believed that some value
should be X at sample N, then during playback, it will be. changes in
this kind of "control data" are not restricted to "block boundaries"
as they are in Csound.

now, protools allows you to go in and edit the automation data post
facto, so if what was recorded really does sound too jerky or
"zippered", you can smooth it by adding more "events" and/or changing
the absolute values. but i don't believe that it does any
interpolation or smoothing without an explicit request from the user.

--p