Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA API
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 23:16:54 EEST

>is there some *documented* code that would help me understanding the ALSA
>0.9 API. I'm just getting nuts reading through aplay.c ...
>I tried to look into the ardour code, but ardour seems to use the 0.5.0
>API?

Nope. It uses the absolute, cutting edge 0.9.0 API (CVS). But unless
multichannel non-interleaved audio via the mmap API is what you're
planning on, ardour is quite a complex example.

      I just want to output some float buffers. Is that actually supported
>in the alsa lib, so that every soundcard can benefit or is that a driver
>specific issue? How do I easily push some interleaved short buffers
>into my soundcard?

all documented, to some extent. jaroslav described on alsa-devel how
to build the docs (its based on doxygen; the docs are in the source,
and doxygen rips them out and produces some formatted files).

--p