Re: [linux-audio-dev] multiplexor

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multiplexor
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 17:58:57 EEST

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 09:27:33AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> Multiplexor 8:1, a classic analogue synthesis technique realised on
> >> Pulsar. Eight inputs are rotated to one output according to the BPM
> >> clock. Produces unique-sounding 'sequenced' sounds without the
> >> repetetiveness of a sampled loop.
> can you describe what it sounds like at all ?

It tends to sound like those "motion synth" patches that you used to get on
things like the wavestation, but it depends totally on the input sounds.

A really good (ie. very blatant) example is Front 242's "Animal (gate)",
if you know it. They apply the effect in one form or another to pretty
much every bit of the track.

I'm making one right now, so you will be able to hear it soon, but its
turning out to be harder than I first thought because of the potential for
multiple simultaneous crossfades. And I'm out of practice. ;)

- Steve