Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - main components

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - main components
From: Jim Peters (jim_AT_aguazul.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 20:42:45 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:
> thats the whole point. you can't have multiple process communicating
> via OS objects if you want low latency (reliably). the components in
> the system must be in the same process.
>
> :::

Right, from what you are saying (Paul) this means that we *must* have
a single process that handles all the time-critical plugins. Now what
if that were part of ALSA ?

That means that slightly less-critical apps could use the ALSA
interface to address `busses' and plugins within that critical
process. This is likely to be much easier than trying to convince
people to use another interface when everyone seems to be saying that
ALSA is the future.

How far is this from what ALSA already has ? I don't completely
understand what these `aservers' are doing (someone please point me to
docs if there are any). Do they accept plugins at all ?

Is this a realistic suggestion ? Technically ? Politically ?

Jim

--
 Jim Peters         /             __   |  \              Aguazul