Re: [linux-audio-dev] Resampling

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Resampling
From: Nick Bailey (n.j.bailey_AT_elec.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 11:40:40 EEST

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> OK. I have been quite skeptical to any FFT analysis/synthesis because
> the phase vocoder in Csound sounds very muddy even no change is done.

Something's wrong. Overlap? Window shape?

> But if you're handling only the complex values got from FFT (not amplitude-
> phase versions), then everything should be better.

And the difference would be.....?

You can express the complex in either rectangular form (z = x+jy) or polar
form (r.cos t + j.r.sin t) -- it makes no difference which you use.

If it does, there's a bug somewhere 8-) The FFT is strictly invertable, and
you should get exactly the same numbers out as you put in. Whether the
"spectrum" is "correct", well, that's another story.

N./