Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA presets (again)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA presets (again)
From: Nelson Posse Lago (lago_AT_that.com.br)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 15:53:40 EET

Hope I don't say anything stupid here :-)

On Mon, Dec 03 2001 at 10:01:08am +0000, Steve Harris wrote:

> I'm not sure what the semantics of /usr/share/ladspa... v's
> /usr/local/share/ladspa... are. Wouldn't it just be wether the the plugins
> where vendor supplied or 3rd party?

The way I understand it, /usr/local/whatever is reserved for stuff you
installed yourself, be it things you've written or tarballs you downloaded
from the net. /usr/whatever et al is reserved for stuff that is "part of
the system", which I interpret, under most linux distributions (debian
being an excellent example, given that it has tons of packages installed
in /usr), as "managed by the package system".

Also, it's expected that /usr can be mounted read-only (via NFS, for
instance); to that effect, files that may change ("high scores" for a
game, status files for the package manager, logs etc) are kept in /var;
and finally, global configuration files are kept in /etc.

Hope that was useful :-)

See ya,
Nelson