Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson develops audio over ethernet protocol

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson develops audio over ethernet protocol
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 04:43:56 EET

>Perhaps if you actually try to send 64 channels, and if they're actually
>using TCP/IP networking. But it was my understanding that they're not,
>and that they're just sending a raw PCM signal over an ethernet cable.
>(At least, I hope that's what they're doing.) Assuming that is the scenario,
>I would imagine latency would be pretty good. I don't know how they'd
>ever sell this to guitarists if it weren't.

as many people on slashdot pointed out, almost no (electric) guitarist
wants to send a digital signal from their instrument directly to a
mixer. almost everyone wants to "move air" via their chosen
amp/speaker combo and then mic it with their chosen mic before passing
it into the mix.

this setup might be handy for people like fripp or michael brook who
process their guitar before ever letting it push a speaker cone, but
most people would find this very limiting.

and no, its not raw pcm. they packetize using UDP.

--p