[linux-audio-dev] a quick note about latency expectations

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] a quick note about latency expectations
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 17:46:00 EET

in doing lots of testing on JACK, i've noticed that although the
trident driver now works (there were some patches from jaroslav and
myself), in general i still get xruns with the lowest possible latency
setting for that card (1.3msec per interrupt, 2.6msec buffer). with
the same settings on my hammerfall, i don't get xruns, even with
substantial system load.

if you want really low latency and full duplex, you may have to accept
that you need properly designed h/w. most consumer audio interfaces
are not designed for this kind of operation. a simple study of the h/w
specs for the trident, for example, makes it completely clear that its
designers were not thinking very much about full duplex
operation. although we can tweak and tune the drivers to work as well
as possible, this isn't going to guarantee that full duplex, low
latency will work as smoothly as you or i would like it too.

--p