Re: [linux-audio-dev] a quick note about latency expectations

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a quick note about latency expectations
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 13:31:45 EET

Paul Davis wrote:

>i think these might have been fixed by some recent changes to the
>audioengine code (changes that originated in JACK).

yes, i know i'll have to try that. ;)

>>ALSA has evolved, and for yet another i have just seen the card perform
>>flawlessly at 16 frames / cycle with different code.
>
>16 frames per cycle! yow! this h/w can really do that?

you can even go down to 2 frames/cycle but obviously everything below 64
is not really practical with my single-cpu 450 MHz system. 16 can run
in perfect sync for a few seconds until the kernel in one of its ignorant
moods decides to block the audio thread for a while :(

however i have discovered that with this card, there is a weird
high-frequency oscillation in the analog output signal that is just
faintestly audible if you crank up the volume real high at 64 f/c and gets
louder (but _not_ higher) if you go to lower f/c settings. makes me sigh.
any ideas what may be causing this?

tim