Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension proposal (quick action wanted)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension proposal (quick action wanted)
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 11:28:01 EET

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Steve Harris wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 05:52:47 +0100, Richard Guenther wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Paul Davis wrote:
> >
> > > 2 proposals for changes to LADSPA, with the intent of moving LADSPA
> > > v1.0 to LADSPA v2.0.
> >
> > Both proposals are ok. But I'm missing
> >
> > 3.) Add sort of category specification (like specifying a "directory") -
> > this avoids large, unstructured menus of plugins (GLAME sorts them
>
> An ontology in other words. Good idea BTW.

I even want you to consider a more generic approach for exposing extra
information. Add a (string) key/value array to the descriptor where you
can store such information (and be happy with the generic interface in
further versions, just define new standard key values). So at the end
of the ladspa descriptor add

   int nr_extras;
   struct { char *key; char *value; } *extras;

The category specification could then be "CATEGORY", "Whatever/It/Is".

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/