Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension proposal (quick action wanted)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension proposal (quick action wanted)
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 14:21:26 EET

Steve Harris wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 12:00:02 -0000, Richard W.E. Furse wrote:
>> GUIS AS PART OF THE PLUGIN
>
>As Paul pointed out it isn't actually neccesary to change LADSPA to
>implement this. Earlier we we thinking of letting hte plugin specify a UI,
>but that isn't really neccesary (or desirable).

agree, that would take the 'S' out of it.

>> CHANGING CONTROL PARAMETERS DURING PROCESSING
>
>This has never bitten me because my plugins (nearly) always do:
>
> LADSPA_Data gain = *(plugin_data->gain);
>
>But this is an important issue and needs to be sorted out.

i think that how to deal with this should be left to the host; possibly
with a LADSPA_HINT_UNBUFFERED_CONTROL.

>Yep, I agree with this. I was forgetting the S! However I would like to
>see the defaults (they should be back compatible) and the propsed GUI
>doesn't add to the complexity of LADSPA.

yeah, let's keep it real simple and export:

const char * xml_spec;

and we can translate all discussions about ontologies, guis etc into a
less harmful discussion about the semantics of this xml_spec, which
i'd imagine to be roughly like:

<typeOf>
  waveshaper
  frequency-effect
</typeOf>

and future enhancements may come at a lesser price than a revised <ladspa.h>.
if a host does not understand a tag, he may just skip it. 't would also
allow for the 'quick action wanted' in the subject line :)

tim