Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Mark Constable (markc_AT_renta.net)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 07:16:26 EET

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:49, Ivica Bukvic wrote:
> So what is preventing us from taking CoreAudio-like path and reworking
> the way audio is handled OS-wide? Is this just a gargantuan task or is
> it just lack of interest? No one said that we need to stick to the OSS
> standard established way before anyone even considered Linux as a
> multimedia workstation.

Linux audio got screwed over by Linus allowing a semi-commercial
"product" to be embedded within the kernel 7 or so years ago. It
has taken this long for any adequate replacement to come along,
which is ALSA.

Linus is at the top of the food-chain so "blame" (or commend) him
for allowing this absolute retard situation for developing in the
first place, which has adversely affected millions of users since.
The lesson for open/free projects is "don't ever mess with non
open/free software and standards, ever"... it's just not worth it.

> I am still not convinced that avoiding the heart of the problem by
> providing roundabout solutions will get us far. If we want to have Linux
> as an audio powerhouse, as well as provide efficient environment for
> development of audio-related applications, maybe we need to get rid of
> the elements that are stalling our progress...

You are very fortunate because ALSA is about to go into the new 2.5
kernel development series RSN, most of the rest of us here have been
suffering this lack-of-decent-audio for an eternity !

> Interesting comments. Keep 'em coming :-)

This is a pretty hardcore and low-level developers list so expect
some responses like "read the fsck list archives before sprouting
off". One thing to push for now is adequate documentation for ALSA
so you and I, and many others, can understand how to use it.

--markc