Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Kevin Conder (kconder_AT_interaccess.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 22:14:50 EET

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Friday 14 December 2001 04:45 am, Alexander Ehlert wrote:
> > > audio current limitations log," right? :). You have said it the best:
> > > Linux overall, is acutely suffering from lack of coherent documentation,
>
> > Every programmer should write the documentation himself as he understands
> > what is going on, that is actually what we do in the GLAME project.
>
> You need a good technical writer to write good documentation. Typically, the
> programmers are too close to the code to write good end-user docs.

        Peer review works for documentation too. A good editor could clean
things up, if they were allowed to do so. But in my experience, project
leaders seem content with a cursory (and usually out-of-date!) on-line
manual on their project's Website.

        I have volunteered to help with documentation on various Linux
audio projects. My offers have been ignored, rejected, and just recently--
publically attacked! OTOH, the ALSA project welcomed my help. But I've
never been able to get any of the 0.9.x beta series to successfully build
on my system.

-- kevin at kevindumpscore dot com