[linux-audio-dev] Ways to make Linux THE ULTIMATE Multimedia Processing System

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Ways to make Linux THE ULTIMATE Multimedia Processing System
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 15:49:15 EET

There seems to have been a lot of discussion on the lists lately about
where the Linux music scene is. Rather than go on about what I think is
cool or isn't cool I'd like to point out that there are many good
programs available to us in Linux. The only problem is, none of them do
"everything".

<NOTE>
If you don't want to bother reading this whole thing, yeah I rambled on
a bit, perhaps just check if the Resonance web site has a nice Linux
Music and Audio Application Map up yet, I'm going to start on it now :)
</NOTE>

-- http://www.resonance.org --

So without well defined connections between all these little programs,
we don't have a very co-operative system (the UNIX thing we keep
referring to).

When I try to think of what great master pieces of sound and music I
have accomplished, I come up quite empty. I've been spending too much
time working on just my program and not enough looking at others. When I
see the possibilities of what can be done I am amazed that we are not
all co-operating to realize the potential.

I would like to acknowledge the tendency to get envious of what some
others are creating. I think we all deal with a certain amount of pride
in what programs we create. I have recently found that I really enjoy
discovering how incredible other programs are that we have in Linux.
Programs I knew of before, but never tapped the potential.

While using these programs I come to realize that there are many people
in this world striving to accomplish the same thing as me! The ultimate
music and audio processing system.

Sooooooo.... Rather than all of us individually trying to create
  everything...

         ->> And yes I know its nothing knew <<-

 Why don't we strive to use or create inter-program protocols!

    <-> Communication is key to our success <->

We need a medium to help co-ordinate this effort. A central place where
we can all develop protocols to talk to each other's programs.

I just realized that I have the perfect site for such a project (at
least as far as NAME) (resonance.org) The name sounds perfect for this
project. Our programs in Synchronized Resonance :) We don't necessarily
need to host it on there, but I like the name.

/ "Resonance", just has a RING to it /

        (yeah, I get it, there are multiple parallels, giggle)..

So on this site I will set up a map of current programs and how they
connect into this diagram of protocols and inter-communication :) A map
of Linux music applications. A map of RINGS of interconnected Linux
audio applications.. drool . . . .*

Perhaps a current situation map would be cool (connecting programs to
protocols that they currently support).

A future development map with newer in development protocols listed and
what programs use them or are going to use them would be really cool!.

A place for users to post links to their own Linux generated music :) I
like this idea very much.

< < < <<< DREAM >>> > > >

Okay, check it out soon. I'll put my nice little pictorial diagram of
the not so distant future of the Linux Audio and Music Scene up on this
site...

So check it out: http://resonance.org I will have something up within
the next hour or so if all goes well.

I hope your reading of this whole email was worth it, I'm just really
excited about Linux music and audio. I'm sure you get like this
sometimes when you realize the possibilities!

--
    Josh Green
    Smurf Sound Font Editor (http://smurf.sourceforge.net)