Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: D. Stimits (stimits_AT_idcomm.com)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 20:49:14 EET

Mark Constable wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Dec 2001 07:49, Ivica Bukvic wrote:
>
> Wow, you are a real LAD surviver, congrats :-)
>
> > My thought is to develop a sound daemon that would be compatible with
> > older apps using esd and artsd, based on alsa-server, with the
> > efficiency of jack, and ability to share audio resource(s) with the
> > priority settings (so that the desktop warning bleep would have less
> > audio priority than the real-time 8-channel recording/playback going on
> > at the same time), as well as patchbay-like ability to route signals,
> > making Alsa the backbone of the audio system on linux, while
> > phasing-out/replacing the inefficient OSS aspects.
>
> Please, no more half-way compromises with OSS... kill it, do
> not even consider "backwards compatibility" for old OSS apps!
> Are there any worthwhile salavaging in light of newer developments ?
> Every ounce of effort towards maintaining (crappy) backwards
> compatibility for old OSS mainly/only systems takes away effort
> from enhancing true ALSA apps.

...snip...

Btw, Alan Cox (probably in agreement with Linus) has stated more than
once that ALSA is the future of Linux kernel development, that OSS is a
future dead issue. I'm not offering the good or bad of either, but in
light of the impending "death by starvation" of OSS, it doesn't seem
like a good idea to put much effort into OSS. I suspect anything done to
work with or on top of ALSA would get more official support.

D. Stimits, stimits_AT_idcomm.com