Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 21:11:09 EET

Mark Constable wrote:

> Linux audio got screwed over by Linus allowing a semi-commercial
> "product" to be embedded within the kernel 7 or so years ago. It
> has taken this long for any adequate replacement to come along,
> which is ALSA.

ALSA was not ready at that time, still isn't and maybe never will.

Specifications of OSS are open so you or anyone else is free to write OSS
drivers.

Some drivers can't be opensource because some hw manufacturers require NDA's
for specs.

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers