Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 00:59:13 EET

Mark Constable wrote:

> Why ? I use Linux, this list is linux-audio-devel.
>
> The only good thing, to me, about "other unices" is that
> apple had a choice and chose BSD.

Compatibility/portability (read: standards) is the main reason why Linux
became what it is today. _Do_not_ break this or Linux will lose...

Thank POSIX!

Btw. OSS follows the original unix idea and POSIX rule of "everything is a
file" very well. It works with open()/read()/write()/close() as the other
devices do. And it's controlled via ioctl() as it should.

Windows is good example of total API mess where there is different API for
all the different twinkles, different error codes, etc. And I think it as
Bad Thing(tm). It's platform where you have to write two hundred lines of
code, call fifty functions and fill twenty large structures just to get
single sample out of soundcard and then the thing goes *boom*...

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers