Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 03:38:01 EET

>Where can I download hardware specs for the RME Hammerfall series so that I
>can write some own code for it? It's not available at ALSA site. Why?

the specs were provided to me with a request that i keep them private.
the source code that i wrote along with input from Winfried Rietsch
and help from Abramo and Jaroslav, provides more accurate
documentation than RME provided me with. clear enough? for crying out
loud! RME gave around a dozen linux parties free hardware, they made
specs available to people they felt could write the drivers, they
added an entire page or two to their website on the ALSA driver. The
spec was subject to revisions, and they weren't interested in tracking
who they had given copies to. they also had contractual obligations
with some technology partners not to release the documentation to "the
public", yet despite this, they nicely worked around that by allowing
us to write GPL'ed drivers.

>My problems with ALSA:

you chose to use a development version when you wanted a stable one.
thats the source of any and all other issues you have with ALSA.

>I _don't_ like to support single OS API's, it reminds me too much about
>Win...

So what do you we should have done? the OSS API, bound to the kernel
open/read/write/close/ioctl API as it is, is basically locked in
stone. Its completely inadequate for the next generation of audio
interfaces. What's your alternative? Stay with a crappy API because it
works on more than OS? Whats the alternative multiplatform API that
would actually work? ASIO isn't an API that most people would have
felt comfortable with, since it explicitly enforces a callback API on
its users, and likewise with EASI (which never really took off).

--p