Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Dan Hollis (goemon_AT_anime.net)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 07:13:11 EET

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Paul Davis wrote:
> At least in Windows you can enter single thread blocking routine to
> wait for any kind of event (file descriptor ready, semaphore, message,
> signal). Under POSIX you can't do this, and you have to use a separate
> thread for every type of event. How's that for unified API?

Don't forget that win32 special cases serial fd's as totally different
than any other fd and has a complete separate API for reading and writing to
e.g. rs232 ports than to any other fd. Plus, all the calls are blocking
so you need to spawn a separate thread just to deal with them.

Both win32 and posix suck ;P

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]