[linux-audio-dev] Re: Scheduler ( was: Just a second ) ...

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Scheduler ( was: Just a second ) ...
From: Herman Oosthuysen (Herman_AT_WirelessNetworksInc.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 19:16:16 EET

My tuppence worth from a real-time embedded perspective:
A shorter time slice and other real-time improvements to the scheduler will
certainly improve life to the embedded crowd. Bear in mind that 90% of
processors are used for embedded apps. Shorter time slices etc. means
smaller buffers, less RAM and lower cost.

I don't know what the current distribution is for Linux regarding embedded
vs data processing, but the embedded use of Linux is certainly growing
rapidly - we expect to make a million thingummyjigs running Linux next year
and there are many other companies doing the same. Within the next few
years, I expect embedded use of Linux to overshadow data use by a large
margin.

Since embedded processors are 'invisible' and never in the news, I would be
very happy if Linus and others will keep us poor boys in mind...

--
Herman Oosthuysen
Herman_AT_WirelessNetworksInc.com