Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 22:11:02 EET

Paul Davis wrote:

> you chose to use a development version when you wanted a stable one.
> thats the source of any and all other issues you have with ALSA.

Aww, what should I use then? People are saying that nobody should use 0.5 as
0.9 is so great. The only reason to write support for 0.9 was Hammerfall
drivers!

> So what do you we should have done? the OSS API, bound to the kernel
> open/read/write/close/ioctl API as it is, is basically locked in

Support other OSes along with Linux. Support for *BSDs at least.

Now you will probably tell me that ALSA is portable API. But porting
interfaces to other platforms is not simple as recompile even if you write
software carefully to be portable. Supporting few other operating systems
would prove the system to be really portable and keep unportable things out.

Btw. how much testing has ALSA got under Linux/PPC?

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers